Actually, this is more about you than us.
First and foremost, we’re a small team of professionals. Our size is by design and positions us ideally to connect with you on a much more direct and candid level. With SAI, you get a no-nonsense, go-to resource with the knowledge, understanding, and wisdom to not just blindly go along, but to consider the objectives of your challenge and make alternate suggestions as needed.
Moreover, it’s important for us to get to know your preferences and philosophies. This allows us to better understand your goals and vision, and encourages a trusting, lasting relationship. Since our inception in 1992, most of our work has been repeat business, which says a lot about our work ethic. But again, this isn’t about us. It’s about meeting your expectation, attaining your vision, and making you look good to the end-user by providing an extraordinary experience for all involved.
Any structural engineer worth their salt will provide a very stout solution to the problem. What sets us apart is our ability to work with and within your vision. To take that deeper dive and identify what the objective truly is, whether it’s a room, space, structure or flow. Yes, another firm can move a column inside a wall so it’s hidden from view. And yes, they might upsize a glulam so that it looks proportional to the room. But should you have to review the design to catch those things? With SAI, you don’t have to because, as you’ll recall, we got to know you and are already anticipating your requests.
About Our President
The boring stuff: Born and raised in Buffalo, New York, I am the son of a truck driver and a dental secretary, and the oldest of three competitive siblings. You wouldn’t know it by looking at me now, but I was once quite the athlete. While I competed in many sports, I really enjoyed hockey and swimming. After graduating from SUNY University at Buffalo, I took on my first job designing fabric structures in Sanford, Maine. After that, I moved to North Carolina and later to Massachusetts designing metal building systems. In 2005, I came to Grand Rapids to work at SAI.
Let’s get to the heart of the matter: I never set out in life to run a company. But if there’s one thing you should know about me it’s that I don’t do anything halfway. For example, when it was time for someone new to take the helm of SAI, I was concerned that anyone else might not treat my customers, my friends, my livelihood, with the same respect, care, and understanding as me. So, you see, it was never about fame, glory, or being the boss. For me, becoming president of SAI was just the best way I could serve my customers.
My promise to you: I’ll push myself and my team to make your experience with SAI extraordinary. I look forward to partnering with you.
Structural is in our name so you already know what we do. However, people like lists so here you go.
- New construction – We design homes, buildings, and structures using structural steel, cold formed steel, reinforced concrete, precast concrete, tilt-up concrete, masonry, wood, and timber. We’ll leave the bubble gum and rubber bands to others.
- Industrial design – If you’re a mechanical or industrial engineer looking for structural help, you can stop looking. We design mezzanines, equipment platforms, conveyor supports, header steel, support framework, ships ladders, and foundations. We’ll also analyze and design the remediation scheme for existing structures subject to new mechanical equipment. Whatever you call it, if it’s structural, we can design it.
- Condition surveys and reports –If you’re thinking of buying an existing structure, it’s in your best interest to know its condition or capacity before investing precious time and resources. Our team of professional engineers can give you an accurate assessment. We can also provide a detailed report to help you in your negotiations with the seller. And working with or through your commercial realtor or broker is no problem.
- Feasibility studies and reports – If you’re modifying, expanding, or changing the use of an existing structure and want to know what it will take to get it done, we can help. We provide the knowledge, experience, and analysis you need to help you make the right call.
- Constructability and value engineering – If you have a project that is breaking your budget, are unsure of the best approach, or are questioning what building material best suits your situation, we can help. We’ve been there and done that and can provide you with alternatives that will save on labor and materials.
- Shoring and temporary support design – We know the trepidation you experience when inclement weather threatens your job site. We offer piece of mind with shoring plans for precast concrete, reshore plans for cast in place concrete, and bracing plans for masonry construction. We’ll design temporary supports that will make your new construction schedule go that much smoother. We also design temporary shoring and supports for existing structures that require modification.
- Remediation design – If you have an old home, building, or structure that has seen better days we can help you restore it to a safe and usable condition.
- Metal stud design – Those pesky engineers are always asking for shop submittals. No worries, we can help. Let us design the metal studs and provide the necessary drawings you need. And don’t feel pressured to use methods, materials or connectors you’re not comfortable with. We’ll work with you and, to the greatest extent possible, design it per your specifications and preferences.
- Connection design – The EOR wants you to do what? That’s crazy! Let us write the RFI. We give you buildable and erectable connection designs. Already have the design? We can review your SDS2 output and provide a sealed letter of certification.
- Stair and handrail design – Yep, we do that too. We’ll work with your layout and provide sealed calculations.
- Expert legal witness – You or your client didn’t sign-up for a legal battle, but here you are. We can be your advocate. We provide expert legal witness services to help bolster your side of the story.
- Insurance claims and investigations – We work with insurance companies to come up with economical solutions for their commercial or residential clients. We understand that fast responses are necessary to keep your client happy and your reputation intact.
- FHA loan foundation Inspection – We’re happy to work with you or your realtor to help facility your closing process by evaluating your current/perspective manufactured home foundation to see if it meets the federal guidelines for FHA loan requirements.
- Residential evaluations and consultations –If you’re pretty sure that crack isn’t supposed to be there, wondering If you can remove a wall, or even if you’re thinking about tackling a project as a DIY but need some guidance, we can offer you the confidence you need with a little tried and true expertise.
- Shelters, bunkers, hardened structures, and safe rooms – If it’s time for you to build your “Plan B,” we can help. We provide the drawings you need to get bids and permits in motion.
SAI Area of Service
SAI is licensed in the following states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.
If necessary we can get registered in most other states in approximately a month’s time.